Types of funding

If you're caring for someone with a disability, you may be able to get funding, depending on your situation. The funding for these is either a direct payment to you as their carer via a benefit payment from Work and Income or it is a contribution to their care which is assessed by a Needs Assessment Coordinator Service and is funded by Whaikaha.

Work and Income: Health and disability-related benefits

Work and Income offers a range of income support assistance, providing that you meet their eligibility criteria. To apply, your health practitioner or doctor should refer you to your local Work and Income service centre as soon as possible. If you are the carer of a seriously disabled child or young person who requires constant care and attention, there is a specific Child Disability Allowance.

There are also benefits for veterans, amputees, orphans, and emergency assistance for people who are unable to earn enough to support themselves and their family but cannot receive another benefit.

Find out if you're eligible for health and disability related benefits external URL on the Work and Income website.

Disability Allowance

The Disability Allowance is a weekly payment for people who have regular, ongoing costs because of a disability. This could include help towards visits to the doctor or hospital, medicines, extra clothing or travel. You don't have to be on a benefit to qualify for a Disability Allowance.

If you are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, you may be able to get the Disability Allowance if you:

  • have a disability that is likely to last at least 6 months
  • have regular, ongoing costs because of your disability that are not fully covered by another agency.

How much you get depends on the extra costs related to your disability. 

Find out how to apply for the Disability Allowance external URL on the Work and Income website.

Modification grants for work spaces

The Modification Grant is a payment that assists people with disabilities to pay for workplace changes or equipment that makes it easier for them to stay in or get work.

You may get a Modification Grant if you are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident and you:

  • have a disability that's likely to last at least 6 months, and
  • you don't get weekly payments from ACC.

The Modification Grant can help pay for equipment like ramps and handrails, visual aids, computer equipment, and other changes to your workplace. How much you receive depends on what you need to do your job.

Find out how to apply for the Modification Grant external URL on the Work and Income website.

Supported Living Payment

You may be able to get a Supported Living Payment external URL if you're caring for a person at home who would otherwise need hospital-level, rest home or residential care (or the equivalent). This includes caring for your own child, but not your partner. The person you're caring for can also apply for a Supported Living Payment.

Special Disability Allowance

You can also apply for help from us on someone else's behalf, but only if they've filled out a form to appoint you as their agent. If you're getting a benefit and your partner is in residential care, or has been in a public hospital for over 13 weeks, you may be able to get a Special Disability Allowance external URL .

For more information about carer benefits and allowances from Work and Income their website: visit: Caring for someone with a health condition, injury or disability external URL

When your situation changes

If you receive financial support from Work and Income and your situation changes, you need to keep them up to date with any changes that might affect what you're entitled to or how much you get paid. This is so you get paid the right amount.

There are many different situation changes that you need to report. For example:

  • if you're having a baby
  • if your income has increased or decreased
  • if you're travelling overseas.

If your situation has changed so much that you no longer qualify for your benefit or payment, you need to stop it as soon as possible. It's against the law to avoid reporting changes to your situation and could result in a fine, a debt to pay back or prosecution.

For more information about reporting changes, visit: Changes when you're getting a benefit or payment external URL on the Work and Income website.

Funding Support from Whaikaha

Individualised Funding (IF)

Individualised Funding is a funding mechanism that supports tāngata whaikaha Māori and disabled people to manage their own supports. This provides people to employ or engage their own support people or provider. People using this option will be supported via an IF Host provider who supports you as you move through the process. This funding support comes from Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People.

Go to our Individualised Funding page for more information.

Carer support

Carer Support is a subsidy that helps the full time Carer to take some time out for yourself. It provides reimbursement of some of the costs of care and support for a disabled person while you have a break.  

Go to our Carer Support page for more information.