Extreme Weather: Where to go for help

As of 11:30am 24 March

For up to date information on the current situation, funding and support, visit Civil Defence Website external URL

Please stay safe and ask for help if you need it.

Where to get help

If you need help, but are not in immediate danger, you should contact:

On this page you will find information on:

Accessible formats 

Information on the current situation in accessible formats is available on the Civil Defence Website external URL

Get Ready external URL also has accessible formats of information on the following:

Support for disabled people

The Ministry of Social Development website includes information on a range of support and funding which can assist disabled people and their whānau: Support for disabled people affected by North Island floods and Cyclone Gabrielle external URL

Community Support Package

The Community Support Package includes funding for community groups and providers who are supporting communities affected by the recent North Island floods and Cyclone Gabrielle. Learn more on Ministry of Social Development's Community Support Package webpage external URL

Help for the disability community

Deaf, disabled people and their whānau can contact the following with any help that is needed:

The Disability Helpline - 24 hours a day, everyday

Text 8988 or call 0800 11 12 13

This Helpline team can also help with:

  • COVID-19 and any other general health concerns you have
  • if a support worker/carer is unavailable or hasn’t arrived
  • and to help right now, they can connect you with information and support about the recent severe weather and flooding.

Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People

Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm

Email: contact@whaikaha.govt.nz Phone: 0800 566 601 or text 4206

 Our staff will help you access the help and support you need in way that is right for you.

If you are receiving Ministry funded support and services and would like additional support during this time, please contact your provider in the first instance. 

Power outages 

If you depend on power for medical equipment, life support, or medicine, this is what you need to do: 

  • Contact your power company and let them know. 
  • Contact your local civil defence centre for support. 
  • If you are in danger, please contact emergency services immediately. Call 111. If registered, you can do this via the 111 text line. 

As power begins to come back on, it’s important to stay safe and protect yourself from potential fire hazards. Switch off all light switches, power outlets and cooking appliances in a power cut and check for any damage before you switch things back on.

Clean up help

The Student Volunteer Army have been briefed to help our community with the clean up across the North Island. Please visit their website external URL and log a job with them.

If you can’t access this form, contact Whaikaha and our staff will do this on your behalf.

 Wellbeing and mental health 

During natural disasters and times of uncertainty it’s normal to feel overwhelmed, distressed, and uneasy. Support is available, so please reach out if you or your whānau need it.

A range of services are available to help support your mental health and wellbeing:

  • Need to talk? Free call or text 1737 any time for support from a trained counsellor
  • Call the Depression Helpline at 0800 111 757 or text 4204 to talk to a trained counsellor
  • Contact YouthLine by calling 0800 376 633, text 234 or email talk@youthline.co.nz
  • The Lowdown is a text support service at 5626 for young people to help recognise and understand depression or anxiety
  • Call Healthline on 0800 611 116 for health advice and information