Help with costs for hearing loss

If you aren’t eligible for funding for hearing aids or equipment, you may still be able to get help with costs. Find out what options are available.

Hearing aid fund

If you have financial difficulties and can’t get assistance from government agencies, the NZ Audiological Society (NZAS) may be able to help. The NZAS has a limited amount of money available to help those in the greatest need.

If you feel you are in this situation and need help buying a hearing aid, contact your NZAS audiologist external URL for further information and the application form.

Work and Income

Financial support may also be available through Work and Income, including:

  • Disability Allowance external URL : This is for people who have ongoing extra costs because of a disability or illness. This allowance can be paid for both children under 18 years and adults. It can help pay for things like regular visits to the doctor, prescriptions, travel because of ill health or disability and hearing aid batteries. 
  • Child Disability Allowance external URL : This is for the main carer of a child or young person under 18 years who has a serious illness or disability and needs constant care and attention. 

There are also a number of payments or advances available from Work and Income if you can’t pay for immediate and essential items. Work and Income will look at your financial situation to see what help is available – you don’t have to be on a benefit to get some of this help.

For more information, contact Work and Income by:

If you are Deaf, have hearing loss, or find it hard to communicate by telephone, you can also contact Work and Income on: