Support around the house

Home and Community Support Services funded by the Ministry provide support with household tasks and personal care, so you can live independently at home.

Household management and personal care support

Here are some examples of tasks Home and Community Support Services can assist with.

Household management or general household tasks may include:

  • preparing meals
  • washing, drying or folding laundry
  • house cleaning, vacuuming and tidying.

Personal care may include:

  • assisting with your eating and drinking
  • dressing and undressing
  • getting up and ready for bed
  • bathroom needs care
  • getting around your home.

Check if you are eligible for support

Home and Community Support Services funded by Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People are available to people who have a physical, intellectual or sensory disability (or a combination of these) which:

  • is likely to continue for at least six months
  • needs ongoing support to live independently, to the extent that ongoing support is required.

These services are mainly for people under the age of 65 years.

If you are over 65 years old or have a chronic long-term illness and you think you need household management or personal care to help you live at home, please contact your local hospital for more information.

Whaikaha will also fund disability support services for people with:

  • some neurological conditions that result in permanent disabilities
  • some developmental disabilities in children and young people, such as Autism.
  • physical, intellectual or sensory disability that co-exists with a health condition and/or injury.

A Needs Assessment and Service Coordination (NASC) organisation can assess if you're eligible for support.

They'll work with you to find out your goals and figure out what kind of Home and Community Support Services you need. Your doctor or health professional will refer you to the NASC. If you like, you can bring along an advocate, carer or a member of your family, whānau or āiga to support you through this process.

Need support with household management only?

Household management is only available to:

  • people that have a Community Services Card
  • children under the age of 16 years whose parents or caregivers have a Community Services Card.

Whether or not you can get a Community Services Card depends on income and family size.

Find out more about Community Service Cards on the Work and Income website  external URL

How service providers will work with you

Whaikaha contracts service providers to deliver Home and Community Support Services. When choosing a provider, the NASC will send your information to them and then they will contact you.

The provider will work with you to create an individual plan, that includes:

  • what you can do for yourself and what you need help with
  • information about you for the assigned support worker, so they know how to best assist you
  • information about your home environment, so that they can be mindful
  • agreed days and time needed for required support.

Talk to your support worker first if you have questions about the service you receive. If you need to escalate a concern, please contact us, we're here to help.