Transport and vehicles

Need support getting around? Find out what assistance is available for your essential transport needs, like parking permits, door to door services, vehicle modifications and travel costs.

Modifying your vehicle

If you have difficulty getting in or out of a vehicle or driving and meet specific criteria, you may be eligible for funding for modifications to a vehicle. In some situations, funding towards a one-off purchase of a vehicle to be modified may also be considered.

Find out more about vehicle modifications.

Parking permits

CCS Disability Action has been providing the Mobility Parking permit scheme since 1977. The scheme supports people with mobility impairments to travel within their communities. With a mobility parking permit, you can park in mobility parking spaces and in some regular parking spaces for longer than the designated time.

You can apply for a mobility parking external URL permit on the CCS Disability Action website.

Door to door assistance

If you have a permanent, temporary or fluctuating disability you may be eligible for subsidised assistance.

There are two transport assistance options available: Total Mobility which is a subsidised taxi service that provides door to door transport and a National Travel Assistance external URL scheme that provides financial support if you need to travel frequently or long distances for specialist health or disability treatment.

Explore more services for help getting around external URL town at the Ministry of Social Development website

Travel costs

Work and Income may be able to assist with health-related travel and accommodation costs. Depending on your financial situation, you may be eligible for up to $300 a year.

This money can cover travel costs for a return journey of at least 8kms to the place of treatment, assessment or services, and accommodation and meal costs if you need to stay away from home overnight to attend the treatment, assessment or services.

Find out more about travel and accommodation external URL costs on the Work and Income website.

Public transport special rates

As part of the national Total Mobility Scheme special rates may be available for people who like to use public transport. 

For more details on what's available in your area and how much you might pay, check the New Zealand Transport Agency webpage on the Total Mobility Scheme external URL . You can also check your local or regional council's transport website.

In some regions you can also get free or discounted transport, sometimes known as an accessibility concession. Check with your local or regional council, or local transport website for more information.

Community transport

In some regions you can access free or low-cost community transport services to get to medical or other community appointments. These services are not funded by Whaikaha.

You can find more information on the Firstport community transport external URL webpage.