Housing and living options

Supported Living and Community Residential Support Services support disabled people to live independently in a safe and appropriate environment. Find out about each of these options and how they can be tailored to the level of support you need.

Supported Living

Supported Living and Community Residential Support Services are housing and living options that provide for different levels of independence.

With supported living, you will identify the areas where you need help and this will be written in a personal plan. A support worker will work with you, usually in your home with support that is provided at times and places that are agreed by you.

A support worker can assist with tasks such as:

  • using community facilities
  • shopping
  • budgeting
  • cooking
  • dealing with agencies like Work and Income or the bank.

Who can get Supported Living

Supported Living is available to anyone aged 17 or older who is assessed as eligible by a Needs assessment service coordinator.

To access Supported Living, you need to talk to your local Needs Assessment Service Coordinator (NASC). If you're eligible for support, you'll be provided with options for suppliers of services you need in your local area.

Community Residential Support Services

Community Residential Support Services are offered by ministry-contracted providers to enable disabled people to live in a home-like setting within their community while receiving support for up to 24 hours a day. Staff are on hand in the homes to support people with all aspects of their daily lives. These can be things like:

  • Shopping
  • Preparing and cooking meals
  • household chores such as laundry and vacuuming
  • personal care such as eating and drinking, getting dressed and taking a shower
  • getting out and about doing things in your community for example going to see a movie or visiting friends.

The options available to you depend on:

  • each person’s situation
  • where you want to live
  • what is available in your region.

Services are provided in a range of community settings such as small or large homes, groups of small homes or flats.

Who can get Community Residential Support Services

You may be able to get Community Residential Support Services if:

  • you are a New Zealand resident
  • you're under 65 years old
  • you have a long-term intellectual, physical, or sensory disability
  • a NASC has made an assessment that says your needs are best met by community residential support services
  • your disability is not covered by ACC.


Talk to your local Needs Assessment Service Coordinator to find out more. They’ll let you know if you meet the criteria and if a community residential support service is best for you.