Taking care of your wellbeing is very important. If you need support with counselling fees or transport to counselling, Work and Income may be able help you with a Disability Allowance. You don't have to be on a benefit to be eligible.

If you're applying for counselling for the first time, you can get up to ten free sessions.

Counselling is provided by a professional counsellor who is a member (or an applicant or provisional member) of organisations like the New Zealand Association of Psychotherapists or the New Zealand Association of Counsellors.

To apply for counselling you need to fill out a Disability Certificate Counselling form.

This form can be filled out by:

  • you
  • your health practitioner, or
  • your counsellor.

You can download this form and find out more about financial support for counselling on the Work and Income website external URL .